Last updated: June 2020
PURPOSE FOR COLLECTION, USE AND DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
MSI collects, uses, and discloses your Personal Information in its normal course of business. The information may be used to plan new products or services, gauge customer satisfaction, measure awareness of products or services, or to test reaction to products, services or communications. The Marketing Science Institute is committed to respecting and protecting your privacy. This policy explains how MSI collects and uses data that MSI obtains via the site. If you are participating on the site from outside the United States, please be aware that your information may be transferred to, stored, and processed in the United States. Below are the primary uses of this information supplied to us:
- Establishing and maintaining communications with you;
- Providing requested content or services from MSI;
- Responding to your inquiries about content and other services;
- Making proposals for future service needs;
- Processing transactions through service providers;
- Registration for conferences and other events;
- Meeting legal, security, processing, and regulatory requirements;
- Protecting against fraudulent, suspicious, or other illegal activities; and
- Compiling statistics for analysis of our sites and our business.
WHAT INFORMATION WE COLLECT
The information gathered by MSI from this Site falls into two categories: (1) information voluntarily supplied by visitors to our Site and other Products, and (2) tracking information gathered as visitors navigate through our Site.
Information Voluntarily Provided by You
When using this Site, you may choose to provide us with information to help us serve your needs. “Personal Information” or “PI” is information recorded in any form that identifies an individual or can be used to identify an individual. It includes an individual’s name, identification numbers, mailing address, phone numbers, email address and other similar information. It may include information about an individual’s personal opinions and preferences.
You provide “PI” to MSI in the course of using MSI’s website. In such cases, MSI will comply with the contact limitations and data protections to which you agreed when you provided that permission. MSI may collect and use PI obtained from publicly available sources, where this is permitted by law. MSI also automatically collects information that is made available by the device you use to access MSI’s website for system administration, service improvement, data analysis, and data integrity purposes to ensure that user registration provides a single unique account. The information automatically collected for this purpose, as well as other “PI”, may be shared with third parties for the purposes of detecting and preventing impermissible duplicate participation.
Your participation is voluntary. You are entitled at any stage to ask that part or all of your personal data be destroyed. Wherever reasonable and practical, we will carry out such a request.
Below are some additional ways we collect data:
- When you register with us and/or join MSI as a member
- If you register with the Site, request a service available on the Site (such as registration for a conference), or become a member of MSI, we may ask you for your name, email address, country, telephone number, and the reason for your communication, as well as information about your position and organization and such other information as is reasonably necessary so that we can provide you with the service or identify what would be of most interest to you. On the data submission form, we shall indicate by way of the word “REQUIRED” which information is optional and which information is mandatory.
- When you submit content
- If you submit content through our Site, we will ask for your name and email address, so that, if you choose, we can update you by email.
Website Navigational Information
As you navigate the Site, we may also collect information through commonly used information-gathering tools, such as cookies, (collectively “Website Navigational Information”). Website Navigational Information includes standard information from your web browser (e.g., browser type, browser language), your Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, and the actions you take on the Site (such as the web pages viewed and the links clicked).
There are different kinds of cookies with different functions:
- Persistent cookies: a persistent cookie is one stored as a file on your computer, and it remains there when you close your web browser. The cookie can be read by the website that created it when you visit that website again.
- First-party cookies: the function of a first-party cookie is to retain your preferences for a particular website for the entity that owns that website. They are stored and sent between MSI’s servers and your computer’s hard drive. They are not used for anything other than for personalization as set by you. These cookies are usually Persistent cookies.
- Third-party cookies: the function of a third-party cookie is to retain your interaction with a particular website for an entity that does not own that website. They are stored and sent between the third party’s server and your computer’s hard drive. These cookies are usually Persistent cookies.
- Where strictly necessary: These cookies are essential to enable you to move around the Site and use its features, such as accessing secure areas of the Site. Without these cookies, services you have asked for, such as obtaining a quote or logging into your account, cannot be provided. These cookies do not gather information about you that could be used for marketing or remembering where you have been on the internet.
- Performance: These cookies collect information about how visitors use a Site (e.g., which pages visitors go to most often, if they get error messages from web pages). They also allow us to record and count the number of visitors to the Site, all of which enables us to see how visitors use the Site in order to improve the way that our Site works. These cookies do not collect information that identifies a person, as all information these cookies collect is anonymous.
- Functionality: These cookies allow our Site to remember choices you make (e.g., your user name, your language, region you are in) and provide enhanced features. For instance, a Site may be able to remember your login details, so that you do not have to repeatedly sign in to your account when using a particular device to access our Site. These cookies can also be used to remember changes you have made to text size, font, and other parts of web pages that you can customize. They may also be used to provide services you have requested, such as viewing a video. The information these cookies collect is usually anonymized. They do not gather any information about you that could be used for advertising or remember where you have been on the internet.
- The major browsers have attempted to implement the draft “Do Not Track” (“DNT”) standard of the World Wide Web Consortium (“W3C”) in their latest releases. As this standard has not been finalized, MSI’s Sites are not compatible with DNT.
Use of IP Addresses
- When you visit our Sites, MSI collects your IP addresses to track and aggregate non-Personal Information. For example, MSI uses IP addresses to monitor the regions from which users navigate the Sites. IP addresses will be stored in such a way so that you cannot be identified from the IP address.
DISCLOSURE OF INFORMATION TO OTHERS
Third parties to whom we disclose information are required by law to keep your Personal Information confidential and secure and to use and disclose it for purposes that a reasonable person would consider appropriate in the circumstances, in compliance with all applicable legislation, which purposes are as follows:
- To provide the products and services you have requested from us;
- To process transactions through data processing service providers;
- If the information is a credit card number, to process credit card payments—through third-party payment processing, clearing, and settlement systems in association with various banks; and
- To fulfill joint marketing agreements with affiliates and partners.
If these third parties wish to use your Personal Information for any other purpose, they will have a legal obligation to notify you of this and, where required, to obtain your consent. Contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on these third parties.
In the normal course of performing services for our clients, Personal Information may be shared within MSI and its affiliates for research and statistical purposes, system administration, and crime prevention or detection. When you supply us with information containing third-party Personal Information (names, addresses, or other information relating to living individuals), we will hold and use that Personal Information to perform general insurance and other services for you on the understanding that the individuals to whom the Personal Information relates have been informed of the reason(s) for obtaining the Personal Information and the fact that it may be disclosed to third parties such as MSI, and that they have consented to such disclosure and use.
Because many of the service providers we use are located in the United States, including certain MSI affiliates, your Personal Information may be processed and stored inside the United States, and the U.S. government, courts, or law enforcement or regulatory agencies may be able to obtain disclosure of your Personal Information under U.S. laws.
As we continue to develop our business, we might sell or buy assets. In such transactions, user information, including Personal Information, generally is one of the transferred business assets. In addition, if either MSI itself or substantially all MSI assets were acquired, your Personal Information may be one of the transferred assets. Therefore, we may disclose and/or transfer your Personal Information to a third-party purchaser in these circumstances.
Other Legally Required Disclosures
MSI preserves the right to disclose without your prior permission any Personal Information about you or your use of this Site or other Products if MSI has a good faith belief that such action is necessary to (1) protect and defend the rights, property, or safety of MSI, employees, or other users of this Site or the public; (2) enforce the terms and conditions that apply to use of this Site; (3) comply with a legally valid request from a competent governmental authority; or (4) respond to claims that any content violates the rights of third parties. We may also disclose Personal Information as we deem necessary to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process, or governmental request.
CALIFORNIA’S “SHINE THE LIGHT” LAW
California Civil Code Section 1798.83 requires any operator of a website to permit its California-resident customers to request and obtain from the operator a list of what personal information the operator disclosed to third parties for direct marketing purposes for the preceding calendar year, as well as the addresses and names of such third parties. MSI does not share any personal information collected from this site with third parties for their direct marketing purposes.
European Union’s “General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)” Law
The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) (EU) 2016/679 is a regulation in EU law on data protection and privacy for all individuals within the European Union. It also addresses the export of personal data outside the EU. The GDPR aims primarily to give control to citizens and residents over their personal data and to simplify the regulatory environment for international business by unifying the regulation within the EU. In compliance of this law, MSI does not utilize data for any reasons other than to fulfill commitments to existing products and services. MSI does not share any personal data or information collected from this site with third parties for their direct marketing purposes. MSI has data retention and storage mechanisms in place to control who has access to the data and has placed limits on what purposes the data can be used for.
CALIFORNIA’S “California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA)” LAW
The California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) applies to California residents only, below is a listing of the rights you have the ability to exercise:
- Right to Know: You have the right to request that we disclose to you the Personal Information we collect, use, or disclose, and information about our data practices;
- Right to Request Deletion: You have the right to request that we delete your Personal Information that we have collected from you;
- Right to Non-Discrimination: We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of these rights.
In compliance of this law, MSI does not utilize data for any reasons other than to fulfill commitments to existing products and services. MSI does not share any personal data or information collected from this site with third parties for their direct marketing purposes. MSI has data retention and storage mechanisms in place to control who has access to the data and has placed limits on what purposes the data can be used for.
Your knowledge of and consent to MSI’s collection, use, and disclosure of your Personal Information is critical. We rely on the following actions by you as indications of your consent to our existing and future Personal Information practices:
- Your voluntary provision of Personal Information to us directly;
- Your express consent or acknowledgment contained within a written, verbal, or electronic application or claims process; and
- Your verbal consent solicited by MSI (or our agent) for a specified purpose.
If you wish to withdraw your consent, please refer to the “Questions or to Withdraw Consent” section below.
However, there are several instances in which MSI does not require your consent to engage in the processing or disclosure of Personal Information. MSI may not solicit your consent for the processing or transfer of Personal information for those purposes that have a statutory basis, such as in the following instances:
- The transfer or processing is necessary for the performance of a contract between you and MSI (or one of its affiliates);
- The transfer or processing is necessary for the performance of a contract, concluded in your interest, between MSI (or one of its affiliates) and a third party;
- The transfer or processing is necessary, or legally required, on important public interest grounds; for the establishment, exercise, or defense of legal claims; or to protect your vital interests; or
- The transfer or processing is required by applicable law.
LIMITING COLLECTION AND RETENTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
MSI will collect, use, or disclose Personal Information that is necessary for the Identified Purposes or as permitted by law. If we require Personal Information for any other purpose, you will be notified of the new purpose and, subject to your consent (where appropriate), that new purpose will become an Identified Purpose.
MSI will collect Personal Information by fair and lawful means. We will normally retain Personal Information as long as necessary for the fulfillment of the Identified Purposes. However, some Personal Information may be retained for longer periods as required by law, contract, or auditing requirements.
We have in place physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information we maintain. Safeguards will vary depending on the sensitivity, format, location, amount, distribution, and storage of the Personal Information. They include physical, technical, and managerial measures to keep Personal Information protected from unauthorized access. Among such safeguards are the encryption of communications via SSL, encryption of information while it is in storage, firewalls, access controls, separation of duties, and similar security protocols. However, due to the nature of the Internet and related technology, we cannot absolutely guarantee the security of Personal Information, and MSI expressly disclaims any such obligation.
ACCURACY, ACCOUNTABILITY, OPENNESS, AND CUSTOMER ACCESS
Our knowing about changes to some of your Personal Information (e.g., email address) may be key to effectively communicating with you at your request. If any of your details change, you can update us by emailing us or completing a form available on our website. Please keep us informed of changes to your Personal Information.
QUESTIONS OR TO WITHDRAW CONSENT
You may exercise your right to withdraw your consent to applicable uses or disclosures of your Personal Information (which may limit or terminate the products and services that MSI provides to you) by either (1) making changes to your profile via our online portal or (2) sending an email to us at the following address:
Marketing Science Institute
We will need to validate the identity of anyone making such a request to ensure that we do not provide your information to anyone who does not have the right to such information.
Normally, we will respond to access requests within 30 days.
Complaints can be directed to: