Join marketing’s senior-most leaders for 2-1/2 days of deeply engaged learning and peer-to-peer sharing at MSI’s signature event. Our inaugural 2020 Summit includes:
20+ mainstage presentations, where leading marketers and academic experts will explore the landscape of digital disruption and innovation:
- Health care: Can AI and machine learning fulfill their promise to transform care? Will consumers embrace digital innovation?
- Payment systems: How might accelerating innovation in payment affect financial services and beyond?
- Brands: How can brands win and keep customers, as customers experience products in new ways on new platforms. What does this mean for retail?
- Channel relationships: Where are the opportunities for new relationships in B2C and B2B?
- Winners and losers: What are some of the most/least effective responses to disruptions across markets and industries.
15+ Roundtable discussions, led by top academics, sharing challenges, insights, and latest findings in:
- Data Science
- Marketing Strategy and Innovation
New opportunities to learn, explore, and collaborate
- Poster sessions where early-career academics present cutting-edge research and explore ideas for collaboration
- “Office Hours” – sign up to meet one-on-one with MSI academics to discuss your biggest challenges and questions
- Peer-to-peer discussions, curated meetings & interactive workshops throughout the event
Why Attend the Summit
- The 2.5 day event takes a considered approach to location and use of your time, and is designed to include highest-value activities -- roundtables, networking, one-to-one meetings, research feedback, and presentations – in one highly engaging event.
- As an attendee, you will be joining an exclusive gathering of top brands, marketers, and academic experts. Our speakers and attendees are among the best of the best across industry and academia.
- Like all MSI live events, the Summit is a “sales-free” intimate environment where marketing leaders can share challenges and questions with trusted counterparts across industries.
- Presentation topics have been curated by you – our member companies – to ensure that we are focusing on your most important issues and questions.
- Your input will influence the outcome of new research and solve real business challenges.
- Your team will benefit too – we’ll provide summary content and resources for your team following the Summit.
Who Can Join
The State of Marketing Science summit is open to MSI Executive Sponsors, Engagement Leads or your designates. Each member company has four complimentary seats included with membership. If you have any questions about attendance, please email Michelle Scerbin. You must be logged in to register.
Please note that this Agenda is for planning purposes only and is subject to change. Please check back soon for additional information.
Select one Roundtable to attend (please find more info in roundtable tab)
- Data Science, led by Bryan Bollinger, New York University, and K. Sudhir, Yale University
- Insights, led by Ryan Hamilton, Emory University and Stacy Wood, North Carolina State University
- Marketing Strategy & innovation, led by Cait Lamberton, University of Pennsylvania, and Mark Houston, Texas Christian University
|12:30 – 1:00||Lunch, Check-in, and Seating Assignments|
|1:00 – 1:30||Roundtable Welcome and Introductions|
|1:30 – 3:00||Roundtable Discussions
Please find specific details under roundtable table tab
|3:00 – 3:30||Networking Break|
|3:30 – 5:00||Roundtable Discussions
Please find specific details under roundtable table tab
|5:00 – 5:30||Wrap up, Networking Prep, Group Photo|
|5:45 – 6:30||CEO & Executive Director Report
Invitation only for academic attendees
|6:30 – 8:00||Marketing Science Fair & Welcome Reception
This welcome reception will be a chance to meet the other corporate and academic attendees. Early-career academics will present cutting-edge research and ideas for collaboration through poster sessions.
|8:30 – 10:00 a.m.||Executive Sponsor Breakfast
Invitation only breakfast for MSI Executive Sponsors (formerly known as Lead Trustees).
Breakfast will include an annual report from MSI and a leadership forum for all Executive Sponsors to share and learn from one another.
|9:00 – 10:00||Breakfast & Registration for all Attendees|
|9:00 – 5:00||Open Office Hours
Throughout the event, “Office Hours” offer direct access to the best academic thinking; attendees can sign up to meet one-on-one with MSI academic leaders to discuss their biggest challenges and questions.
|10:00 – 10:30||Opening Remarks & Networking Activity|
|10:30 – 11:45||Mainstage Presentations|
|11:45 – 1:15 p.m.||Lunch & Networking Dessert|
|1:15 – 2:30||Mainstage Presentations|
|2:30 – 2:50||Networking Break|
|2:50 – 4:15||New Research Planning Session
Attendees will spend this session in breakouts sharing about key challenges in their roles and industries. These discussions among marketing leaders and will be large enough for a range of perspectives and small enough to dive deep. Facilitated by a top scholar, the breakouts will inform the Research Priorities which will be shaped on the spot and shared back later at the summit.
|4:15 – 4:30||Networking Break|
|4:30 – 5:20||Mainstage Presentations|
|5:20 – 5:30||Wrap Up|
|5:30 – 7:30||Evening Reception|
|8:00 – 8:30 a.m.||Breakfast|
|8:30 – 9:00||Opening Remarks & Networking Activity|
|9:00 – 9:50||Mainstage Presentations|
|9:50 – 10:05||Networking Break|
|10:05 – 11:20||Mainstage Presentations|
|11:20 – 11:30||Wrap Up & Concluding Remarks|
New York UniversityView Bio
University of California, Los Angeles
University of RochesterView Bio
Senior Practice Director, Customer Experience, Teradata
University of California, Berkeley
The University of Utah
Emory UniversityView Bio
Texas Christian University
University of Pennsylvania and Executive Director, Marketing Science Institute
Su Jung Kim
University of Southern California
University of Pennsylvania
University of Southern California
Yale UniversityView Bio
Vice President, Marketing Analytics, Walmart, Inc.
Chief Knowledge Officer
Cheryl Cramer Toto
CEO, Marketing Science Institute
North Carolina State UniversityView Bio
Surrounded by the bustle of Union Square and sights of San Francisco Bay, Hotel Nikko offers contemporary accommodations, just moments from the city's best, with on-site access to a world of dining, entertainment, and serenity.
MSI has secured a block of rooms at the Hotel Nikko at a discounted rate of $339 per night . In order to secure a room at the group rate please book online here, or contact the Nikko at (415) 394-1111 and reference the group code “MSI Annual Summit 2020”.
Availability and the discount for rooms can only be guaranteed until Monday, February 3rd, so please make sure to book your accommodations early.
222 Mason St.
San Francisco, CA 94102
On Day One of the Summit, join one of three roundtables for a day of deep discussion and peer-to-peer sharing. Led by two top academics, each roundtable will include 30 attendees, clustered in tables of noncompeting companies from B2B and B2C. With facilitated breakouts, deep dives, and peer sharing across industries, you will come away with applicable insights and new approaches to your most critical challenges and burning questions.
Attendees select one roundtable to attend:
Data Science Roundtable
This group is for serious marketing scientists who want to discuss latest modeling tools and techniques. Areas of interest and topics for networking with attendees include optimal experimental design; A/B testing; integrating insights and closed loop measurement; customer lifetime value, predictive and prescriptive analytics; machine learning; linking marketing sales and profit; programmatic buying; experimentation; etc.
Some titles of attendees may include Senior Manager, Marketing Analytics; Lead Data Scientists; Measurement & Insights Researcher; Methods Principle; Global Analytics Director; SVP Decision Analytics & Research; etc.
Bryan Bollinger, New York University
K. Sudhir, Yale University
This group is comprised of senior level managers in consumer insights and research roles at their organizations. Areas of interest and topics for networking with attendees include techniques for synthesis of findings; customer experience measurement; issues in communicating and embedding insights within the organization; new techniques in behavioral economics; building consulting skills within the research function; hiring, training, and recruiting for research; innovations in research process; etc.
Some titles of attendees may include VP of Research, Director of Global Consumer Insights; Marketing Insights Manager; Director Consumer Insights & Strategy; Technical Director Digital Market Research; Behavioral Science Lead; Customer Insights Director; etc.
Ryan Hamilton, Emory University
Stacy Wood, North Carolina State University
Marketing Innovation & Strategy Roundtable
This group is comprised of senior level marketers in strategy or training roles. Attendees are interested in building a world class marketing organization, advances in the practice of marketing and how organizations can prepare for and address the biggest challenges in B2B and B2C industries. Other areas of interest and topics for networking with attendees include for attendees include organizational structure; career development in marketing; evaluating marketing competencies and capabilities; approaches in global learning and training; training teams, markets, and individuals; intersection of sales and marketing; territory planning; the marketer of the future; etc.
Some titles of attendees may include Director of Marketing Excellence; VP Marketing Strategy; Transformation & Talent Leader; Global Training Director; Global Marketing Capability & Effectiveness Leader; VP of Marketing Capability & Business Planning; Head of Marketing & Sales Institute; Chief of Staff, Marketing; etc.
Cait Lamberton, University of Pennsylvania
Mark Houston, Texas Christian University